Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wednesday Whatabouts -- Dream On

I’ve recently decided that I need at least three houses to fully satisfy my decorating urges. I realize that I have no need for that many houses, and that I am indeed very blessed to own one, but a girl can dream can’t she? My home décor is very traditional. I’ve got lots of greens, reds, golds, browns and black. In the winter, I love my warm colors and cozy surroundings, but come spring and summer, I want cool, clean colors and lines. For this reason, my second house would be a summer home on a quiet beach. Don’t worry. There will be no starfish or cheesy peach shell wall paper. I’m thinking more whites, blues, and yellows. My third (imaginary) house would include all cheap and trendy furniture so I could change things out as often as I desired. I wouldn’t be afraid to do funky things with color or furniture because any furniture in the house would be so cheap that I wouldn’t mind if I ruined it trying out a new finishing technique. This one would more than likely have to be in Europe somewhere. I say this never having actually been to Europe. Again… a girl can dream.
I’d like to become way more eclectic in style with the house I live in now, but it will have to be a slow process. My Mom always taught me to get traditional basics so you don’t have to worry about it going out of style anytime soon. So, as a young woman, this is the route I chose to take. It’s a safe buying choice. It’s also the boring choice. I’ve slowly begun to add more edgy pieces here and there, and have even gone a little vintage with one. It’s a step-out for me. I refuse to get into any debt and won’t buy what I want until I can pay for it at the moment, and I won’t get anything I don’t absolutely love. Until I find my next piece, I’ll just keep searching the web and picking things out of magazines that I eventually want go buy. Aaahh the damage I could do with several milliion dollars.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you and I can spend hours together just going through "Real Simple" and designing our dream houses. Sooooooomeday...

    Your sitting room is my favorite room in your house - the couch, the chair...I'm totally jealous.

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete