Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tasty Tuesday -- Not your Mama's chicken.

I love chicken, and I try my best to come up with new ways of seasoning it so I don’t get tired of the same ole’ thing. Here’s quick and easy recipe you’ll enjoy by yourself, with friends, or with family. I love mushrooms, and Baby Bella’s are my current favorite, but I know that a lot of folks hate mushrooms all together. If that’s the case, substitute grilled red onions for the mushrooms.
This chicken is great by itself or as a sandwich. If I’m doing this as a sandwich, I use a whole wheat bun; add some lettuce, tomato, red onion and some honey mustard. If you don’t have any pre-made honey mustard, you can easily make your own. I’ll put a honey mustard recipe below. Be sure to let me know if you ever try one of my recipes. I’d love to know what you think. Have a tasty Tuesday!

Chicken breasts
Zataran’s Blackening Seasoning
Baby Bella Mushrooms (sliced)
Bacon (optional)
Monterrey Jack or Sharp Cheddar Cheese (use 2% for a healthier option)

Cover desired number of chicken breasts liberally with blackening seasoning. Grill or sauté (sauté in 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus 1 tsp Butter) chicken until the juices run clear. Bacon and mushrooms can be cooked in a grill pan that is covered with foil as well. I like this option for easy clean up. If you’re not grilling, cook the bacon and drain most of the grease from the pan. Save enough to sauté the mushrooms or you can use a little olive oil for that instead. If you’re grilling, throw the mushrooms and the bacon together to cook. If after cooking for a few minutes, you want to make your bacon crisp, just put it directly on the grill for a minute or so. After everything has finished cooking, place chicken in grill pan. Top with bacon and mushrooms, then put cheese on top to melt. If you’re cooking inside, it’s easiest to just layer everything and pop it in the microwave it until the cheese is melted.

Homemade Honey Mustard
Disclaimer: This is very approximate. I generally do this by sight and taste. I recommend you do the same.

1 tsp honey
1 tsp mustard
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
You can add a little BBQ sauce for an added kick if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment