Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tasty Tuesday --Bring on the Jerk

You all will come to find that I absolutely LOVE cooking. I take a very laid back approach so it almost feels therapeutic to me. I hope that you all will try these wonderful weekly recipes as well as taking the liberty of making them your own by tweaking them to your liking.

I try to eat pretty healthily except for the occasional weekend or holiday binge fest. I never eat anything that I hate just because it's good for me, so that makes it all the more important to find new ways to make healthy foods good enough for myself, family, and guests to really enjoy. As for the not-so-healthy foods, my Dad says it best, "Everything in moderation." Never completely stop eating foods that are fattening, fried, or sugary. It just isn't right. Just eat a little bit every once in a while and share the rest so you don't find yourself sitting with an empty cake plate in your lap. Don't eat because you're happy or sad or bored. Eat for nourishment and because it tastes good!

On to today's recipe. Since it's a great time of year to grill, we're going with grilled Jamaican Jerk Chicken. This is a recipe that is delicious and good for you. That's a combo you can't beat in my book. If you don't have access to an outdoor grill, you can always use something like a George Foreman Grill. The taste won't be quite as good, but you'll still get the over all flavor. This does require several hours to marinade, so don't try to make this last minute. You can always marinade over night, and have it ready to throw on the grill when you get home from work the next day. The main thing is that the flavors need enough time to soak in. Warning: This is spicy!! Use gloves while preparing the habanero pepper.

Jamaican Jerk Chicken

1 Dried Habanero Chile (re-hydrated, seeded and coarsely chopped)
2 Tbsp Yellow mustard (I use French's)
2Tbsp Fresh Rosemary
2 Tbsp Fresh Basil
2 Tbsp Fresh Thyme
1/2 c Green Onion (chopped)
1 clove Garlic (quartered)
1 tsp. Salt ( I use Kosher salt)
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
4 Chicken Breasts (You can choose bone in or boneless)

In a small food processor or blender, mix all ingredients except chicken until well blended. Arrange chicken on a non-metal dish. Brush 3/4 of the mixture over the chicken. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate chicken (and remaining marinade) for at least 4-6 hours. Allow chicken to set out for about 20 minutes before grilling. Cook till juices run clear turning once and brushing with remaining chili mixture.


*Note: If you are using boneless chicken, you may want to make sure the chicken is all the same thickness so to assure even cooking. To do this, place chicken on a cutting board, cover with plastic wrap, then use either a meat mallet or pan to hit it several times or until the chicken reaches the desired thickness.

1 comment:

  1. I can attest to the fact that this is delicious (A. has made it for me!)!

    I'm excited to have the recipe for myself now!

    ReplyDelete