Thursday, June 18, 2009

Therapy Thursday -- Dear Diary


First, let me say, I can't imagine ever starting a journal entry with those words. To me, that's more of Martha May Whovier's style. I was never much into journaling when I was a child. I was way too much of a tomboy to ever go for anything so girly. I was the girl who was out playing baseball and fishing with the boys instead of playing with Barbie and hosting tea parties. As I’ve gotten older and learned a whole lot more about life and myself, I’ve found journaling to be very therapeutic. I’m a very train of thought writer, so needless to say, my journal topics are all over the map. Some days my entries are a written prayer. Some days the entries are a venting session. Other times, I write about what I’m loving about life at the moment, and things I’d like to change. If I had any drawing capabilities at all, I know I would sketch. I think I’d even like to start adding photos if I’m journaling about a particularly great day I’ve had or event I’ve gone to. Although my journal entries are always different, there is one thing that I always try to do. I make a point to write down things I’m thankful for. Sometimes when life is hard or even when it’s great, we forget to take the time to be thankful for things we’re able to do or have, lessons we’ve learned, or relationships we share. I’ve recently been in situations where I see spouses/boyfriends and girlfriends putting one another down and being really hard on the other (almost John and Kate plus 8 style). This isn’t healthy. There is always a reason why we like or love someone, and it’s important not to lose sight of it. We all get annoyed with people from time to time, but constant nagging or bashing is only going to push the person further and further away… even if they don’t say anything at the time. I say, if you’re upset with someone, stop and think before you speak. Nine out of ten times, the situation is too petty to be worth harsh words and an argument. Later on that day, once you’re removed from the situation, take time to write down a few things that you appreciate about the person you were ready to lash out at earlier. I guarantee, you’ll be more thankful that they’re in your life than angry about the irritating situation. This works for husbands, boyfriends, good friends, family, kids etc. Even if you’re not upset about anything or anyone, take the time to write down the little things in life you’re thankful for. I think it’s almost human nature to dwell on the bad and turn a blind eye to all the good in our lives. Let journaling turn that around for you.
Journals are things that I never want to get rid of. I think reading them 20 years down the road will give me such a wonderful and personal glance back into my life. I know feelings will change, I’ll mature and my perspectives will be different years from now, but I’d like to remember how things are for me as I see them. It will also be neat for relatives to have once I’m gone. It’s not that I journal for someone to read it… it’s the opposite really, but I would have loved to have had a journal from one of my grandmothers’ younger years. It would be so special to have a closer look into their lives when they were closer to my age. I wish I’d started journaling so much earlier in my life, and maybe you do too, but it’s never too late to start. Never doubt your potential to give self- therapy.

1 comment:

  1. I used to start every entry with "Dear Diary" when I was little. And I wrote like Diary was an actual person - I asked Diary questions and even apologized to Diary when I was mean.
    Yeah. I know.
    Just picture me with the side ponytail and thick pink glasses and you've pretty much got it. Bernice.

    ReplyDelete