Monday, June 8, 2009

Make a Difference Monday -- You're sooooo good looking!

This may not always be the right compliment to give, but it’s pretty great. If you don’t remember, this is what Seinfeld suggests that people say instead of “bless you” when someone sneezes. I don’t know about you all, but a nice compliment can last me all day. If I’m having an absolutely awful day, and someone says something nice like, “Wow, your hair looks great!”, I suddenly feel like everything is going to be ok, and that I’m worthwhile. Maybe I’m crazy. Maybe I shouldn’t take every compliment to the bank, but eh… why not. Women can sometimes be so competitive that we can come across as being hateful or self-absorbed. So many of us feel like we’ve got to be tough because we’ve got something to prove to the world. Prove you’re nice. I’m not saying that complimenting a random person will make them your best friend; it shouldn’t. It just means you are taking a second to appreciate something about someone else and that you’re quite possibly, making their day. Giving a great compliment is a gift, and so is being on the receiving end. I used to have trouble receiving a compliment. I would always turn around and say something to put myself down to negate what they said. This isn’t good. When someone compliments you, kindly and sincerely say, “Thank you.” A sarcastic, “Yeah right, thanks.” doesn’t quite have an appreciative ring. Another thing that folks sometimes do is automatically feel the need to compliment the one who gave the compliment. Don’t do this either. They’ll know you’re grasping for straws. Maybe instead, we should just accept the compliment (always acknowledge it) and then pass one along to someone else later. It’s funny how the small things can make a difference in our day. It may be funny, but it’s true. So, today, take a moment to give a compliment and make a difference in someone else’s day. If you're reading this today... you're SOOOOOOO good looking! Yeah. Go ahead. Take it to the bank ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment