Monday, June 15, 2009

Make a Difference Monday -- Sunflowers and a Milk Shake


I’m having the kind of day where I’m going to have to force myself to make a difference, but I know once I make an effort, I’ll be glad I did. There’s no doubt, we all go through hard times. We deal with loss, depression, break-ups, anger, hurt feelings, little annoying things that get under our skin, accidents, loneliness… you name it. At one point or another, we’ll all deal with most if not all of the above. I can name at least five friends/relatives who are going through a rough time right now. I know people who are out of jobs, who have just had their house burn down, those who have had miscarriages, several who are battling cancer, some who are stressed about work, stressed about what their kids are doing that they don’t know, and some who are just depressed about getting older. All of us can go from being on top of the world to being at the lowest low within a matter of minutes. I know. It’s so depressing to read all of those things, but what can we do? Well, first, we can be thankful if we’re not at a low point. Then, we can hopefully bring a little cheer to those who aren’t so lucky. Sure, you can help monetarily sometimes, but that’s not always possible, and depending on the situation, money isn’t always the right or best answer. Sometimes folks just need a shoulder to cry on, or a great friend to veg out and watch movies and eat ice-cream with. If you’re too busy for that, a simple card can still make anyone’s day. I try to be creative when I’m trying to cheer up a friend. Here are some of my favorite things to do. A bouquet of fresh flowers (bouquet of sunflowers at Publix for $3.33), a homemade CD, handmade card, chick flicks, milkshakes, favorite coffee drink, a candle and some Mr. Bubbles, window shopping, going for a walk, gifts for pets, gift cards, homemade cakes, something for their house in the color they’re diggin’ at the moment, etc. There are so many creative things to do that are either free, or cost hardly anything. Now that I’ve inspired myself, I just need to pick a friend, and go make a difference in their day. We can all make a difference one person at a time we just have to do it. Add to the beauty today.

1 comment:

  1. Well, you certainly added to the beauty today, Friend of Friends! Thanks for my cheerful apartment gifts - they look so good!

    ReplyDelete