Monday, October 5, 2009

Welcome Back - White Chicken Chili

I know, I know. It's been forever since I've blogged, but I've been un-inspired at best. This recipe involves a good bit of chopping (I know this will immediately turn some of you off), but it's completely worth it. This is a great alternative to traditional chili, and it's healthy to boot. That is... as long as you don't go nuts with the toppings.

It calls for beer, and I'm not a beer drinker, so I went to someone who knows a lot about it, to ask for a good cooking beer. They told me to use Yuengling Light Lager. The flavor it adds is very good (much better than just chicken broth). If you're not a drinker, I recommend buying a pack and sharing with friends so they can try the chili too.

Give it a try and let me know what you think. Welcome to fall!

White Chicken Chili
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Pablano peppers (seeded and diced)
1 red bell pepper (seeded and diced)
1 small onion (diced)
3 cloves garlic (minced)

Sauté ingredients till tender

Add to pot
1 can navy beans
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cans diced tomatoes with zesty green chilies
1 small can sliced black olives (optional)
1 packet of McCormick White Chicken Chili Mix
1 12 oz light beer
Approx 1 lb of either smoked chicken (from a B-B-Q restaurant or rotisserie chicken chopped.

Simmer for 1 hour

Squeeze lime juice in individual serving bowls (approx 1/4 of a lime per bowl)
Optional:Cheddar cheese,sour cream, pico de guillo, Rice Works (brown rice) Sea Salt chips or Tostido's

No comments:

Post a Comment