Thursday, October 8, 2009

I love this time of year. I makes me want to bake and have the aroma of cinnamon and apples floating through the house every day. Of course, if I did that every day, I'd be as big as a barn, so I settle for a Glade apple/cinnamon plug in to get me through. I have, however, started baking something at least once a week. Last week I made Grace's (from A Southern Grace) Apple Dapple cake. It was very tasty. Honeycrisp apples were quite possibly the perfect choice of apple to use for the cake. If you've never had honeycrisp apples, you have got to try them. They're wonderful cooked or plain, or with a little peanut butter on them. They have a short season, so if you want to give them a shot, I'd suggest you try them soon before they're gone. I've bought them at The Fresh Market, Publix and Target. Target has the best deals on them.

This week, I'm doing a couple of things. First I'm going to make a grated apple pie using the honeycrisp apples, and then I'm going to make one of my very favorite things in the world. Pumpkin crisp! I guarantee that most of you have never had anything so heavenly. It's great for breakfast or dessert or just because you're so obsessed with it that you can't help yourself. Even if you hate pumpkin, you'll love it. My grandmother hates it and was instantly hooked on pumpkin crisp once she finally buckled and tried it. It's perfect. Salty and sweet and creamy and crunchy all in one. Yes. Perfect! This is a recipe that I never ever give out, but because I'm in an extremely generous mood, I'll share it with you guys today. Sorry I don't have a pic. I'm not used to our new computer. Please try it and let me know what you think.

Pumpkin Crisp

1 16 oz Can Pumpkin
1 15 oz Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 C Sugar
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
3 Eggs
1 box Yellow Cake Mix (I use Duncan Hines)
1 C Chopped Pecans
1 C Salted Butter (melted)

Line the bottom and sides of a 9x 13 pan with wax paper. I've never found a pretty way to do that. Mix pumpkin, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and eggs and pour into pan. Pour dry cake mix over the mixture. Sprinkle nuts evenly onto cake mix. Spoon melted and cooled butter evenly over nuts. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Invert tray and remove waxed paper. Cool.

Frosting

1 8 oz pkg Cream Cheese (softened)
3/4 C Cool Whip
1/2 C Powdered Sugar (sifted)

Mix ingredients and spread on top of pumpkin crisp. Cut outer edges off, then cut the rest into squares. Refrigerate un-eaten portions. Best served at room temperature, but cool is delicious too.

1 comment:

  1. i'm so glad you tried my cake! and you're so right--honeycrisp would be a perfect choice. huzzah--an excuse to make it again! :)

    ReplyDelete